Thạc Sĩ The application of games in teaching grammar with reference to tieng anh 10 textbook at ha trung hig

Thảo luận trong 'Ngoại Ngữ' bắt đầu bởi Ác Niệm, 21/12/11.

1. Ác Niệm

Ác Niệm New Member

Bài viết:
    Được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    Xu:
    0Xu
    INTRODUCTION
    1. Rationale
    Recently, teaching English has improved in method in the light of the communicative, learner-centered approach which is adaptable to required objectives and helps students have many opportunities to communicate in English. However, at many high schools, teaching English still has not developed students’ ability, activeness and motivation, especially teaching grammar.
    I agree with Mario Rinvolucri (1984: 3):
    “Grammar is perhaps so serious and central in learning another language that all ways should be searched for which will focus student energy on the task of mastering and internalizing it. One way of focusing this energy is through the release offered by games.” Games in general and grammar games in particular are very useful in teaching and learning English grammar because it not only encourages, but improves and teaches students’ ability in using English fluently as well. Therefore, I think this study is necessary and the result of using games in teaching grammar will bring many practical benefits to the students.
    In consideration of these problems, as an English teacher, I really want to clarify the topic here with my knowledge and my supervisor’s guidance to analyze, understand the situation of teaching and learning English grammar at Ha Trung high school; the application of games in teaching grammar at the school. Thanks to it, I will find out lessons, experience for myself and make a small contribution to enhancing the effectiveness in teaching this subject.
    2. Aims of the study
    The major aims of the study are:
    - to affirm the role of grammar in teaching and learning English.
    - to emphasize the importance of students’ motivation in teaching and learning grammar.
    - to prove the application of grammar games brings many practical benefits in teaching and learning grammar in particular, and English in general.
    - to contribute a small part to the improvement of teaching and learning English at Ha Trung high school.

3. Scope of the study
    Given the rationale and the aims of the study, it is necessary to limit the study to the areas which are manageable. Benefits of the application of games in teaching grammar create the effectiveness of students’ learning in grammar which focuses on two factors: developing students’ motivation and understanding of the lesson. The subjects under the study are the 10th-form students at Ha Trung high school.
    4. Research questions
    The study will attempt to find the answers to the following research questions:
    - What is the role of grammar and the importance of students’ motivation in teaching and learning grammar?
    - What benefits does the application of games in teaching grammar bring to teachers and students?
    - What kinds games should be used to teach the grammar of Tieng Anh 10 textbook at Ha Trung high school?
    5. Methods of the study
    This study used both quantitative and qualitative methods. Quantitative method helps to provide the quantified background data. The collected data and information lay the foundation for the study.
    Comments, remarks, assumptions and conclusion of the study are based on data analysis.
    Data collections for analysis in the study come from the teachers and students in Ha Trung high school by:
    - Class observation
    - Survey questionnaires
    - Interviews and discussion
    6. Design of the study
    The study is organized around three parts:
    Part I – Introduction – provides the rationale for the study and sets up the aims, scope, research questions and methods of the study.
    Part II – Development – consists of three chapters:
    - Chapter 1 is concerned with the literature review of the study.
    - Chapter 2 investigates the current situation of teaching and learning English grammar at Ha Trung high school through class observation, interviews and questionnaires, then carries out data analysis, comparison, findings and discussion.
    - Chapter 3 provides suggestions, or measures to overcome difficulties when using grammar games in class, tips for using grammar games in class successfully, and examples of games to teach grammar points in Tieng Anh 10 textbook.
    Part III – Conclusion – summarizes and makes a conclusion to the main points which have been explored in the study, gives out recommendations to develop the effectiveness of teaching and learning English, some suggestions for future research and the limitation of the study.

Các file đính kèm:

Đang tải...