Tài liệu Forensic medicine – from old problems to new challenges - Edited by Duarte Nuno Vieira

Thảo luận trong 'Sinh Học' bắt đầu bởi Thúy Viết Bài, 5/12/13.

1. Thúy Viết Bài

Thành viên vàng

Bài viết:
    Được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    Xu:
    0Xu
    FORENSIC MEDICINE – FROM OLD PROBLEMS TO NEW CHALLENGES
    Edited by Duarte Nuno Vieira

Contents
    Preface IX

Chapter 1 Avoiding Errors and Pitfalls in
    Evidence Sampling for Forensic Genetics 1
    B. Ludes and C. Keyser
    Chapter 2 Death Scene Investigation from the
    Viewpoint of Forensic Medicine Expert 13
    Serafettin Demirci and Kamil Hakan Dogan
    Chapter 3 Diagnostic of Drowning in Forensic Medicine 53
    Audrey Farrugia and Bertrand Ludes
    Chapter 4 Forensic Investigation in Anaphylactic Deaths 61
    Nicoletta Trani, Luca Reggiani Bonetti, Giorgio Gualandri,
    Giuseppe Barbolini and Margherita Trani
    Chapter 5 Forensic Age Estimation in Unaccompanied
    Minors and Young Living Adults 77
    Andreas Schmeling, Pedro Manuel Garamendi,
    Jose Luis Prieto and María Irene Landa
    Chapter 6 Epidemiology and Diagnostic Problems
    of Electrical Injury in Forensic Medicine 121
    William Dokov and Klara Dokova
    Chapter 7 Child Deaths 137
    Gurol Canturk, M. Sunay Yavuz and Nergis Canturk
    Chapter 8 Child Abuse and the External
    Cause of Death in Estonia 177
    Marika Väli, Jana Tuusov, Katrin Lang
    and Kersti Pärna
    Chapter 9 Sexual Assault in Childhood and Adolescence 189
    Hakan Kar
    Chapter 10 Cannabinoids: Forensic Toxicology and Therapeutics 215
    Helena M. Teixeira and Flávio Reis
    Chapter 11 Pharmacogenetics Role in Forensic Sciences 251
    Loredana Buscemi and Adriano Tagliabracci
    Chapter 12 Forensic Pharmacogenetics 267
    Susi Pelotti and Carla Bini
    Chapter 13 Forensic Microbiology 293
    Herbert Tomaso and Heinrich Neubauer
    Chapter 14 Advanced Medical Imaging and Reverse
    Engineering Technologies in Craniometric Study 307
    Supakit Rooppakhun, Nattapon Chantarapanich
    and Kriskrai Sitthiseripratip
    Chapter 15 House Dust Mites, Other Domestic
    Mites and Forensic Medicine 327
    Solarz Krzysztof
    Chapter 16 Types and Subtypes of the Posterior Part
    of the Cerebral arterial Circle in Human Adult Cadavers 359
    Ljiljana Vasović, Milena Trandafilović, Ivan Jovanović,
    Slađana Ugrenović, Slobodan Vlajković and Jovan Stojanović

Preface
    Forensic medicine has attracted considerable attention from the media and general
    public in recent years, largely due to the impact of successful television series dealing
    with the subject and to certain high-profile cases (involving crime, natural disasters or
    technological accidents) in which it played a significant part.
    Forensic medicine is a continuously evolving science that is constantly being updated
    and improved, not only as a result of technological and scientific advances (which
    bring almost immediate repercussions) but also because of developments in the social
    and legal spheres.
    We are undoubtedly living in a period of constant rapid change. Thus, if forensic
    medicine departments are to fulfil their role as centres of training, expertise and
    research, the professionals working in them need to be attentive to those changes by
    being prepared to constantly update their knowledge and skills. One of the most
    important ways of keeping in touch with new developments in the field is through
    reading, which enables us to share in the reflections and experiences of other
    professionals and brings us into contact with different realities and perspectives.
    A great many books have been published about forensic medicine in recent years.
    However, most are very similar in structure, with chapters that review the various
    areas of expert intervention; indeed, the only differences between them tend to
    concern certain concepts and/or the geographical background of their author(s). All
    continue to give priority to the traditional paper format, which, despite its many
    advantages, also brings limitations, conditioning access to contents (particularly
    amongst professionals from poorer countries) and restricting dissemination and
    circulation.
    This book does not follow this usual publication policy, and in that respect, it is not
    simply new, it is (if I may dare to say so) radically new. It contains innovative
    perspectives and approaches to classic topics and problems in forensic medicine,
    offering reflections about the potential and limits of emerging areas in forensic expert
    research; it transmits the experience of some countries in the domain of cutting-edge
    expert intervention, and shows how research in other fields of knowledge may have
    very relevant implications for this practice.
    There are chapters on the potential of pharmacogenetics and forensic microbiology,
    chapters offering different perspectives on perennial themes such as the diagnosis of
    death by drowning or anaphylactic shock, others reflecting on the particular
    experience of some countries in areas as problematic as child abuse, and some that
    apparently have little or nothing to do with forensic medicine at all (such as the
    chapter about research into cerebral vascularisation), but whose results ultimately
    have a huge relevance for expert practice in forensic pathology.
    This book is thus a miscellany of different approaches to various aspects of forensic
    medical practice, all of which are extremely interesting. Precisely because it is a
    miscellany, there seemed little sense in grouping the texts into different chapters or
    areas; hence, they have been ordered thematically.
    When I was contacted by InTech to edit this work, I initially hesitated, wary of
    reviewing and pronouncing upon texts by authors that had not been selected by me
    and which had been submitted somewhat randomly without any prior guidance or
    structuring. But InTech is one of the biggest Open Access publishers of scientific books
    today, with high-quality publications, worldwide readership and no copyright
    transfer, and it was that which ultimately prompted me to accept the invitation. For
    this is an entirely new posture in the world of publishing. Indeed, my decision to
    participate as editor was strengthened when I discovered amongst the authors some of
    the world’s leading authorities in the field of forensic medicine whose work I have
    long admired and respected, alongside some newer names, people who were taking
    their first steps in international scientific publications and producing articles of a very
    promising quality.
    All in all, this has proved to be a particularly interesting experience, from which I have
    derived great pleasure and benefit, and I truly hope that the reader will find in the
    book the same opportunities for professional enrichment as I have done.
    Finally, some acknowledgements are due. Firstly, my thanks go to InTech for having
    invited me to participate in this work as editor, and to Davor Vidic, publishing process
    manager of this book, for the support, professionalism and efficiency with which he
    responded to my multiple requests, as well as for his endless patience with regard to
    my own systematic delays in responding to him. But above all, I would like to thank
    the authors for having taken the time to write the chapters contained in this book
    (thereby generously sharing their knowledge, experiences, reflections, expert practice
    and research with the international forensic medicine community) and for having
    contributed economically to the publication of this work, particularly as most of them
    could easily have published their texts in any other scientific journal or book. With
    this gesture, they have thus made possible the publication of an Open Access book
    that is free to professionals around the world and only a click away, thereby
    demonstrating a highly-developed social conscience as regards the growing
    imperative to openly share information. Indeed, it is my opinion that those that have
    achieved a particular status, professional or academic, in the world of forensic
    medicine have a moral duty to ensure that their knowledge and experience reach those
    who, for economic or geographical reasons, may have difficulty in accessing scientific
    literature. This is what the various authors of this book have done. To all, my heartfelt
    thanks!
    Duarte Nuno Vieira, MD, MSc, PhD
    President of IALM (2006-12), IAFS (2008-11),
    WPMO (2008-11), ECLM (2009.) and MAFS (2005-07)
    Full Professor of Forensic Medicine and Forensic Sciences,
    Head of the National Institute of Forensic Medicine of Portugal
    University of Coimbra,
    Portugal

Đang tải...